Sunday, July 9, 2017

My Week Off

I start my new job tomorrow!!  To say I'm excited is an understatement.  I'm super excited for this next chapter and all that awaits me.  But before I start, I knew I needed some time off in between jobs.  I had a week, actually 10 days off (including the weekend).  Some might see that as an opportunity to go on a trip, but the reality is I simply needed time to decompress and help transition from the old job to the new job.  Call me an old fart, but I call it like I see it.  If I want to get off on a good start, I knew I needed to really truly rest and relax.  And that I did.  Here's a little peak into what I did.  Might not be exciting by your standards, but it's exactly what I needed.

I went to the dentist.  Seems uneventful, but the truth is a few years back I didn't have dental insurance.  So I'm grateful that I do have insurance and wanted to use up my 2nd visit before the new insurance kicks in!  I used to drink sugar in my coffee (gasp, the horror as a dietitian!!) and well, I got a few cavities during the time I didn't have the insurance.  Flash forward to present day and I'm all about my check-ups.  I go four times/year just to keep up and monitor and make sure no cavities pop up.  I had to get my second check-up in before the new insurance starts.  I call that smart thinking if you ask me!

Again, not the most exciting, but I literally cleaned out all my closets.  I moved back to Miami in 2005, so we're talking that I've been back for 12 years now.  I had clothes I haven't worn since 2005 in my closet.  I had old teaching materials from my teaching days, old nutrition notebooks (filled with stuff from my internship days circa 2000), and even Chicken Soup for the Soul books that I had read only god knows when.  So, yes, the closets were cleared and minimalized as much as possible.  It literally felt like the weight of the world was taken off my shoulders once I dumped some of that junk.  I promptly bought myself some macarons after this dreaded chore because I have yet to make these successfully and deemed them my reward for a completed job.  Caramel sea salt was my favorite in case you were wondering.

I had a broken toe a few weeks back and while it was almost 100%, it just wasn't there. That left my running out for at least a few more days.  But what I did do daily was a little bit of meditation and yoga.  Many poses in yoga were not possible (I needed to still rest that toe), but yoga for me is simply about showing up and spending time on the mat, simply being PRESENT - whether that's 10 minutes of savasana (resting pose) or an hour and a half of hard-core poses.  This week off was about me showing up as I said and committing to spending time stretching, breathing, and just being.  Exactly what I needed.

My mom's birthday was on the 3rd.  We did a day trip to Naples .  I compromised.  I mean I didn't want to have to recuperate after a long trip, but I thought if we could do a quick get-away that'd be nice to celebrate her birthday.  She does love Naples and those white sand beaches.   I do believe that many times instead of giving gifts you should give experiences.  She'll remember this birthday more because of the experiences we had - from the botanical garden, to nearly missing a thunderstorm, an epic seafood dinner, and to a breathtaking sunset (because those sunsets NEVER get old).  Happy 72nd birthday mom!

Baking bread.  It's been my hobby as of recent.  The patience it takes to make some breads is beyond me, but this bread making has definitely been teaching me a lot.  I am forever thankful for my KitchenAid mixer - I mean how did they knead bread for that long in the old days??  Being precise and accurate in your measurements all the way down to the temperature of your water for the yeast - I think you should know this is why bread is so expensive in the stores.  All jokes aside, I've found a few go-tos that are SO simple, I might never have to buy bread again.  Here's my latest creation this week, Anadama bread.
This year our mangoes taste a little watery.  I think from the early blooms to most of the blooms being blown away, there's a little thing called global warming effecting our crops - but who am I to say?  At the end of the day, I do know that our mangoes tasted different this year.  But then were some that were just so spot on sweet, you had to get to using those mangoes all the ways - mango bread, mango ice cream, mango salsas...I mean the possibilities were endless.  Just look at how pretty those mangoes are!


Today I ended with getting a manicure/pedicure.  It's just one way I have been treating myself to some self-care over these past few years.  But today's felt more special for some reason.  Maybe because I know I'm starting a new chapter in my life tomorrow, who knows.  Throughout the week I also reflected on this new job I'll be starting.  I know that I want to be open to all the opportunities brought before me.  I am willing to learn as much as I can all while bringing as much to the table as I know I am able to.  I have a lot to offer through my nutrition knowledge and can't wait to get started with the team.  And of course, I'll keep you posted on my journey...here's to jumping in 100%, no fears!

No comments:

Post a Comment