Sunday, September 1, 2013

That's a Keeper


It’s Sunday morning and it’s time to figure out what to eat for the week.  I’m planning my grocery list so that I’ll have all the items I need to make for the recipes I select.   But how will I decide what to cook?  I go to my “That’s A Keeper” book and see what looks/sounds good.  “That’s A Keeper” started a few years back when my dad and I were eating dinner one night.  He looked over to me after we had just tried out a new recipe and asked me simply, “Is it a keeper?”   I responded with a, “no”, and he said, “well, it’s a keeper for me” and thus began our individualized “That’s a Keeper” books.  The recipes that make it into my book are not always the ones that make it into my dad’s book.  I hate having to try out new recipes for fear that they are not going to be a success.  But at least this way I have recipes that I know will be a success.  My mom is always trying out new recipes and that also helps in adding more “keepers” to my book.  Who wants to cook something if it’s not going to taste good?  Over the years I’ve been collecting all my “keepers” and constantly sharing these recipes with friends so that they too will have “keepers”.   And again maybe it won’t end up being a keeper for everyone, but that’s the beauty of food and recipes that we try, finding the ones that are your “keepers”.  Here are few “keepers” that made it to my book.

This is an easy and quick appetizer to make that’s always a success.  I line the baking sheet with aluminum foil so the clean-up is a little simpler too.

 
 

These tacos are light and refreshing.  Just be prepared to have some napkins handy!

 
 

Main Dish - Vegetarian:  Linguini with Zucchini and Chickpeas
Here’s another quick and simple meal that you can make on those busy weeknights.  It provides you with all the protein you need, balanced with a vegetable and your carbohydrate.

 
 
Salad Dressings:  BalsamicVinaigrette
Salad dressings are too simple not to make at home.  In this recipe I don’t add salt as the mustard is already providing an ample amount (but yet way less than a store bought dressing).  It’s flavorful and you can always double or triple the recipe when you’re making it.
 
 
This recipe is definitely a dessert because of the mascarpone that’s added in.  I always get rave reviews when I make this.
 
 

 
So there you have it – a few of my “keepers”.  I still try out new recipes in the hopes that I’ll have more keepers (because I also don’t want to keep eating the same thing over and over).  Today I made a homemade ranch dressing, homemade almond butter, and mini-apple pies – all keepers in my book!! 
 

 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment