Monday, May 6, 2013

Nutritionist vs Dietitian

"A registered dietitian is a food and nutrition expert who has met the minimum academic and professional requirements to qualify for the credential "RD." In addition to RD credentialing, many states have regulatory laws for dietitians and nutrition practitioners. State requirements frequently are met through the same education and training required to become an RD."

In some states, people can call themselves "nutritionists" without any qualifications. 

I'm a Registered Dietitian, RD for short.  (LD is also listed after my name.  I'm a licensed dietitian in the state of Florida).  I studied nutrition/dietetics at Florida State University and did my dietetic internship at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX.  I have been practicing in the field of Nutrition for the last 13 years.  I studied Nutrition because it fascinated me to see how the food we eat can actually benefit and nourish our bodies.  "Nutrition is the science of food and how it works in your body".  I use this definition when teaching with the example that carrots have Vitamin A and Vitamin A helps with our vision.  We are what we eat!


My goal is simply for people to be healthy.  I know I can't change the world, but I do know that I can plant seeds.  Some seeds will take off and thrive and others will not.  My hope is that through this blog I might be able to give you information that you might not have known about or maybe it's just a new recipe you want to try out.  I leave you with my 1st tip:
#RDAmy #nutrition #variety #balance #moderation

No comments:

Post a Comment